[SAC] Wiki Spammer - even more elaborate fake user

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Sep 4 00:36:37 PDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 2:05 AM, Brian M Hamlin <maplabs at light42.com> wrote:
> Hi SAC -
>
>   a quick look shows a real Harry Wood, who is quite involved withOSM and
> OSM Wiki.. SO perhaps Sandro is right .. I dont know what to do.. the wiki
> is valuable to OSGeo.org.

Looking at
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Harry_Wood
there is tons of spam which was recently created through this account.
So, perhaps compromised?

When unlocking, for sure the pw must be changed.

Quick question: why redirect to a "spam" page rather than deleting the
spam pages completely? With the redirect still the ugly page titles
remain which carry spam messages.

>   In the past it was enough to check for spam and then put that fake user
> out..
> This occurrance ranks as a new level of complexity in an attack..

I fully agree.

>   Years ago, before Christian W. started, I was awarded a star of Spam
> Blocker for my wiki tending efforts. Now, I dont know how to react to this..
> the spammers are certainly winning,
> they are paid pennies for this ?

I suspect yes. Yet I don't understand why since the spam content is
rather useless, not even professional. Weird.

Best
Markus