[SAC] [OSGeo] #1793: Reqiest for FOSS4G-announce list

Guido Stein guido at guidostein.com
Fri Sep 16 07:09:55 PDT 2016

Jeff & SAC members,

I respectfully disagree with Jeff.

Since the beginning of the heightened traffic on the list in early sept, we
have lost 7 subscribers and are now down to 94 participants on the list.We
lost 7% of our list so far. Some of the people who have dropped off are
local people we know and have been trying to recruit to participate in the
event.

We, the LOC, have been pointing people to the FOSS4G2017 list to get
information about our conference. Since this list is becoming more of a
forum and less announcnment oriented we feel it's time to open another list
where people can get information from the LOC (similar to how there is an
osgeo twitter account and a FOSS4G twitter account). I am all for an active
community discussion list, but not at the expense of loosing people who are
interested in event information, but not the conversation or other OSGEO
announcements.

I am happy to make sure our outbound messages go to as many channels as
needed to that all OSGEO folks are aware of this, but we need our own
channel with our, the LOC, message is broadcast.

Thank you all for your time,

Guido Stein
Co-Chair
FOSS4G Boston 2017