[SAC] [Urgent] Proposal for new OSGeo site hosting

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Aug 30 14:40:39 PDT 2017

Jeff,

Please itemize your proposal (or proposals if you have 2 different ideas
on how this could work). I suppose we should put it on a wiki page,
along with the GetInteractive proposal I outlined previously, and any
other options so everyone has a good overview of the choices.

Given the urgency of the task, and budget I think we should do a quick
contract for the work. There are plenty of later tasks that could then
be delegated to a wider non-contract team.

In terms of machines, osgeo6 does have enough space/capacity. However it
currently has php5.x, so we would need to either containerize (docker),
or virtualize the Wordpress install, in order to avoid a big headache of
trying to get all the project sites up to a new php version at the same
time.  I was also concerned about how to to do the 2 site setup so there
is a test site and a production site. So really there's a few tricky
unanswered questions for the long term deployment, but things we need to
answer before putting it on our servers.