[SAC] staging.www.osgeo.org fails to show fonts when using an (ad)blocker

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 22:17:41 PST 2017

I had a quick look, there are tools to download the fonts and the
Javascript that chooses the appropriate approach for each browser.

However the fonts are improved over time, and we have an open issue with
respect to kerning on windows ... which has been reported to google fonts.

Out of curiosity does uBlock cause problems with other sites? Wondering how
widespread google fonts use is ...

On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 4:54 PM Regina Obe <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:

> >> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 5:56 PM, OSGeo <trac_osgeo at osgeo.org> wrote:
> >> #2056: staging.osgeo.org donate button
> >> ---------------------------+---------------------
> >>  Reporter:  jive           |      Owner:  sac@
> >>      Type:  task           |     Status:  new
> >> Component:  Systems Admin  |   Keywords:  staging
> >> ---------------------------+---------------------
> >>  The staging.osgeo.org website is close to ready,
>
> > BTW, some issues (checking the page code):
>
> > * when using an (ad)blocker like uBlock (which I commonly use), then the
> site does not contain any fonts and is quite "white".
>  >  Is there no other way that using external Google fonts?
>
> I think  we can self-host the Google fonts we are using as part of the
> wordpress site
> And pull from here
>
> https://github.com/google/fonts/
>
> Guess we'd need to check the licensing on each font to make sure.  We can
> also just define a fallback font in the css as I recall.
>

> Thanks,
> Regina

Jody Garnett