[SAC] staging.www.osgeo.org fails to show fonts when using an (ad)blocker

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Dec 21 08:20:06 PST 2017

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 7:17 AM, Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a quick look, there are tools to download the fonts and the Javascript
> that chooses the appropriate approach for each browser.
>
> However the fonts are improved over time, and we have an open issue with
> respect to kerning on windows ... which has been reported to google fonts.

One thing to consider is that we would expose our users to permanent
tracking when using external fonts.
Maybe nobody cares much but maybe some yes :)

The upcoming EU privacy directive (EU-DSGVO) will forbid to embed
external fonts like this to my knowledge. Sure, the server is
elsewhere but if not really needed we should do it well, especially
since we are OSGeo.

> Out of curiosity does uBlock cause problems with other sites? Wondering how
> widespread google fonts use is ...

Elsewhere I have no such issues (I was just surprised to be prompted
with a basically blank welcome screen (images shown) when looking at
the staging site).

Markus