[SAC] [OSGeo] #1940: osgeo4 raid needs a replacement

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jun 16 08:38:45 PDT 2017

On 06/14/2017 04:09 AM, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Tue, 13. Jun 2017 at 22:08:25 -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> OSGeo3 which contains Downloads has a space issue, but that's actually
>> just a disk allocation issue, it has more space. But nothing new should
>> go on that machine it's just as old.
>
> So it's just still a matter of access?  Expanding a lv and growing a fs should
> be a matter of minutes - although making the expanded lv known to the vm
> without a reboot might be an issue.

Yes, access. And you are correct there is no way to tell the guest OS to
grow the / partition without it being offline. The most often used trick
is to boot the VM with a live distro and do an ext grow operation.

>> FYI, adding a replacement disk the last time caused significant downtime to
>> rebuild the raid (days).
>
> Usually you would just pull the disk and put in a new one - without any
> downtime.  At least the rebuild should run in background.  Anyone recall why it
> had to run in foreground with everying offline the last time?
>

>> qgis contains their bug tracker which if I recall the qgis PSC has been
>> debating the future of.
>
> We moved redmine to a non-osgeo machine.  The VM now is only hosting the
> website with documentation and downloads.  It's also behind cloudflare.  But
> disk space is also an issue there too.
>
> Building of website and documentation has been moved of the VM and is rsynced
> back from another non-osgeo machine to the VM.

If that's the case and you just have static assets, then please go ahead
and start migrating the qgis VM content to OSGeo6.