[SAC] download server: No space left on device

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Mar 24 23:15:12 PDT 2017

On 03/24/2017 12:30 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 09:03:40AM +0100, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>> On Mon, 03. Oct 2016 at 01:30:37 +0200, Jürgen E. Fischer wrote:
>>
>>> Or can we simply get more space?
>>
>> Can we?
>
> I guess the question at this point is: who's in a position to answer
> that question ? I know there are economic resources to do it (check
> SAC budget) so it must be just a matter of figuring out who would
> do it and coordinating the communication with board or treasurer
> for the actual expense involved.
>
> Is anyone from SAC technically capable of getting more space into
> that machine ?
>
> --strk;

More space on the current server is not a financial issue. Technical,
only Martin and OSU have access to modify the ganeti disks. This is a
short term solution to expand or add another disk slice. The easiest way
is to mount a 2nd ganeti disk using some of the unallocated space from
the host. I can write up the commands if that helps, but don't have
access to do it myself. Growing the existing disk is also possible but
requires more than a reboot, and has a slight risk of data loss (as all
ext3 expansions do).

Longer term, I had put in the budget that we should replace osgeo3 with
a new machine this year. But only after osgeo4 is fully retired. So
really we just need to finish moving the last 2 VMs off osgeo4 so we can
clear up the rack space.

We could also just change where downloads is and put it on osgeo6, but
that isn't as cleanly separated from all the projects.