[SAC] General Administration Contract (SAC)

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Mon Oct 16 09:52:52 PDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 6:08 PM, Martin Spott <Martin.Spott at mgras.net> wrote:
> Sandro Santilli wrote:
>
>> What alternatives do you have in mind ?
>
> This one:
>
> I'm in permanent employment since beginning of this year and I'm having a
> family with two kids, which in total leaves little time to carry out major
> side-projects (I still do have smaller ones  ;-)
> My SAC EMail inbox contains approx. 1.5k unread list postings and just
> grouping these, identifying correspnding links and the like would cost more
> time than I could (want to) afford.
>
> On the other hand I know the OSGeo server infrastructure pretty well and I
> might ask my employer to sell 50 hours of my work time at the given rate to
> work on dedicated topics to be discussed.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable idea ?

(to me yes - but I'll answer only to the next question for now)

> Markus Neteler: Would you please consider judging wether I'd be betraying my
> own credo ?

:-) Thanks for asking me...

So, I don't think so - time is a limiting factor for many of us.
Hence, "tunneling" work for OSGeo-SAC through a permanent position as
you suggest is probably the only viable way for you in order to not
cut too much into family time. Besides a paid contract we can always
donate more time as volunteers.

Overall, while the suggestion may work ok for the board (I suppose
there is no real difference for the foundation if a contract is
awarded to a freelancer or a company) a clarification will likely be
needed for you from your company whether or not they are willing to
sell hours to OSGeo. But probably you have already discussed that
internally.

Not sure if my comment is useful at all :)

Concerning the process: bids will be collected and then SAC proposes a
candidate to the board? Maybe this is RTFM but I don't recall right
now.

Best,
Markus