[SAC] [Urgent] Proposal for new OSGeo site hosting

Alex Mandel tech at wildintellect.com
Fri Sep 8 07:57:14 PDT 2017

On 09/08/2017 02:06 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 02:40:39PM -0700, Alex M wrote:
>
>> In terms of machines, osgeo6 does have enough space/capacity. However it
>> currently has php5.x, so we would need to either containerize (docker),
>> or virtualize the Wordpress install, in order to avoid a big headache of
>> trying to get all the project sites up to a new php version at the same
>> time.
>
> I've some experience with Docker and Vagrant/Ansible by now.
>
> My understanding is that Docker is not currently used on any OSGeo
> infrastructure. Is Vagrant used for the VMs ? I could not find this
> information on the wiki [1].

osgeo3 & osgeo4 use Ganeti for virtualization. Neither machine is a
candidate for new services. osgeo4 needs to be retired ASAP. osgeo3 is
planned for replacement. We are looking for a new approach to
virtualization/containers.

KVM (which is what Ganeti uses) is still an option, but with a different
front end suggested (something simpler, perhaps libvirt). Vagrant with
Virtualbox is not really appropriate beyond development. Openstack is
also an option, but like ganeti is really meant for many machines and
full control over host resource allocations.

> I've also tried logging into "osgeo3" or "osgeo4", to try at
> finding out by myself, but failed at finding their IP addresses:
> osgeo6.osgeo.osuosl.org exists, but neither osgeo3.osgeo.osuosl.org
> nor osgeo4.osgeo.osuosl.org do. Can you help with that ?

I believe Martin is the only osgeo person with access to the host of
osgeo4 and osgeo3. Quirk of how OSU originally configured them. We can
ask OSU for help getting access if needed. They may not have public ip
addresses.