[SAC] [Urgent][Vote] Proposal for new OSGeo site hosting

Alex Mandel tech at wildintellect.com
Fri Sep 8 08:05:10 PDT 2017

On 09/08/2017 02:46 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 04:55:05PM -0700, Alex M wrote:
>> Vote on if you approve of this plan (the whole thing). If you object to
>> any part please state what part of the plan you object to, why, and what
>> alternatives you suggest.
>
> My understanding of the plan is that GetInteractive would
> basically move the beta website to a new (virtual?) machine
> we'd have root access to and consider their project completed.
>
> This "setup & migration" would be charged ~390 USD.
>
> At the end we'll have another machine in the OSGeo infrastructure
> which would cost ~40 USD/month.

I have suggested a slightly cheaper plan since it's the beta site.
However the hosting quality appears good. Having another "machine" is no
different than creating a new VM on and existing machine.

> How much time (and money?) would it take to request a new VM
> from OSUOSL ? My understanding from reading the wiki page [1]
> is that it would come already with LDAP shell access ?
> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Standard_System_Setup#Request_a_new_VM

We would setup a VM ourselves on OSGeo6, we would not use the old base
image because the Debian is not very recent. So it's all from scratch.
So assuming we can decide quickly on how to implement, I'd say 2-8 hours
of work. If we want to do the VM part and have GetInteractive setup the
Wordpress that probably also works. I see their bid as being a
reasonable amount for the hours of an expert.

> Do we have full specification of what the new website requires
> in terms of Wordpress version and plugins set ?

No plugins, latest Wordpress. If we want to host production and beta
site on the same server it might need to be a multi-site configuration.

> Do we need to keep the new website running for people to migrate
> content or was that task only important for the conference ?
> Could it for example remain offline while we call for interest
> within the community for the next sysadmin contract ?

Content is part of the data dump from the vendor. Commmunity would
prefer that the beta site continue to run so they can work on the content.

There is a pool of money specific for this project, but the board
considers it urgent, so unless we have people in mind for the contract
(which GetInteractive is bidding on) the time delay is problematic.

Alex Mandel
http://wildintellect.com