[SAC] [Urgent][Vote] Proposal for new OSGeo site hosting

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Sep 26 12:03:29 PDT 2017

On 09/26/2017 10:35 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 08:05:10AM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
>> On 09/08/2017 02:46 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
>>>
>>> How much time (and money?) would it take to request a new VM
>>> from OSUOSL ? My understanding from reading the wiki page [1]
>>> is that it would come already with LDAP shell access ?
>>> [1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:Standard_System_Setup#Request_a_new_VM
>>
>> We would setup a VM ourselves on OSGeo6,
>
> Does it mean the above wiki page section is wrong ?
> It says new VMs should be asked to OSL after SAC agreed we need it ?

Outdated. That information applied to OSGeo3 & 4. OSGeo6 was completely
installed by Martin S with no virtualization.

>> we would not use the old base image
>> because the Debian is not very recent. So it's all from scratch. So assuming
>> we can decide quickly on how to implement, I'd say 2-8 hours of work.
>
> I have some experience with Vagrant and Docker, could we get a new IP
> to associate with the new VM ?

Vagrant and Virtualbox are not required in order to use Docker on a
Linux box. So I would suggest either KVM with libvirt or Docker.
VirtualBox headless could work but I'm not sure it's as efficient.

>> If we
>> want to do the VM part and have GetInteractive setup the Wordpress that
>> probably also works. I see their bid as being a reasonable amount for the
>> hours of an expert.
>
> Could you make a call for quotes to do the VM and Wordpress setup
> among SAC and OSGeo members ?
>
>> There is a pool of money specific for this project, but the board considers
>> it urgent, so unless we have people in mind for the contract (which
>> GetInteractive is bidding on) the time delay is problematic.
>
> I could give the Vagrant way a try, but I would feel much more
> comfortable if someone who already setup VMs on OSGeo infra would
> share the current protocols... I read on the (obsoleted?) wiki that
> there's something called "Ganeti" which takes care of VM but it is
> not clear to me who manages that (OSL ? OSGeo admins ?).

We decided not to use Ganeti on OSGeo or future machines as it added too
much complexity and we didn't leverage the multi-node features that it
brings.

-Alex