[SAC] [Urgent][Vote] Proposal for new OSGeo site hosting

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Sep 26 12:23:11 PDT 2017

On Tue, Sep 26, 2017 at 12:03:29PM -0700, Alex M wrote:
> On 09/26/2017 10:35 AM, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> >> We would setup a VM ourselves on OSGeo6,
> >
> > Does it mean the above wiki page section is wrong ?
> > It says new VMs should be asked to OSL after SAC agreed we need it ?
>
> Outdated. That information applied to OSGeo3 & 4. OSGeo6 was completely
> installed by Martin S with no virtualization.

Does Martin have physical access to that machine ?
Does anyone else from SAC do ?

> > I have some experience with Vagrant and Docker, could we get a new IP
> > to associate with the new VM ?
>
> Vagrant and Virtualbox are not required in order to use Docker on a
> Linux box.

I know, just mentioned two possible virtualization mechanisms I'd
be somewhat familiar with.

> So I would suggest either KVM with libvirt or Docker.
> VirtualBox headless could work but I'm not sure it's as efficient.

My vagrant experience is with Virtualbox backend. Very easy to setup,
no idea about efficiency. Never used KVM and libvirt.
See my other mail about a step toward experimenting with Vagrant.

BTW, how hard would it be to add another machine to only deal with
virtualization, rather than using the one on which we do have
production services already ?

> We decided not to use Ganeti on OSGeo or future machines as it added too
> much complexity and we didn't leverage the multi-node features that it
> brings.

It would be useful to gather information about experience of SAC
members with various virtualizations. I understand you are familiar
with Docker, do you also know Vagrant/Virtualbox ?

Could others also give their list of virtualization experience
and preferences ?