[SAC] OSGeo7 Sever Config Quote

Chris Giorgi chrisgiorgi at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 00:13:41 PST 2018

Hi Alex,

Overall, this looks like a solid machine, but I do have a few suggestions
considering the details of the hardware configuration.

-First, a RAID5 array for the spinning rust pool may leave the pool unduly
susceptible to complete failure during recovery from a single drive failure
and replacement due to the extreme load on all discs while recreating the
data on the replaced disk tending to trigger a subsequent failure. Also, no
hot spare is available, leaving the pool running in degraded mode until
someone can physically swap the drive. A RAID6 (or ZFS RAIDZ2)
configuration having two drives worth of recovery data greatly minimizes
such risk.
--Suggest that all 4 hot-swap bays be provisioned with the HGST models
listed (512b emulated sector size) in the quote if the 4k native sector
size drives are not available -- this can be worked around at the FS level
(ashift=12) with minimal performance impact.

-Second, RAID5 will seriously reduce the performance of the SSDs, and,
especially on writes, increases latency, which somewhat defeats the purpose
of utilizing SSDs. A simple mirror array would be much better performing
and have the same level of redundancy, while a stripe could be much faster
when used as a cache for hot data from the HDDs rather than the primary
storage. For heavy write loads, such as databases, MLC SSDs really aren't
suitable because of the wear rate and they usually lack of
power-loss-protection. A smaller capacity but higher iops NVMe type SSD on
the PCI bus would be much more effective for those workloads.
--Suggest identifying workloads needing high-speed storage and determine
read vs. write requirements before final selection of SSDs. Use two SATA
SSDs in mirror or stripe configuration for bulk storage or cache. Consider
PCIe connected NVMe if large number of writes and transactions.

-Third, the memory really is the biggest bottleneck and resource limit, so
I would favor increasing that as much as possible over the size of the SSD
pool. Unused memory is used to cache filesystem contents to RAM, which is
orders of magnitude faster than a SSD, but is there for your workloads when
needed.
--Suggest 128GB RAM, making trade-offs against SSD capacity if budget
requires.

Some general comments on filesystems, software stack, and virtualization,
in reverse order.

For most of the needs I have seen discussed, full virtualization is far
more heavy-handed than necessary -- a container solution such as LXC/LXD
would be much more appropriate and allow for much better granularity with
lower overhead. A few VMs may be useful for particular projects that need
to run their own kernel, low-level services, or suspend and move to another
host for some reason, but those are the exception, not the rule. Many tools
for managing VMs can also manage containers, and provisioning many
containers off the same base template is both very easy and consumes very
little additional disk space when used on a CoW filesystem (Copy-on-write)
that supports cloning; additionally, backups are both instantaneous and
only take up as much space as the changed files. My personal preference is
to use ZFS for a filesystem because it supports all levels of the storage
stack from disk to filesystem to snapshots and remote backup in a single
tool and thus can detect and correct data corruption anywhere in the stack
before it can be persisted. LVM2 and associated tools provide mostly
similar functionality, but I find them much less intuitive and more
difficult to administrate - that's certainly may be just a matter of
personal taste and experience.

I hope this helps with the purchasing and provisioning decisions.

Take care,
   ~~~Chris Giorgi~~~