[SAC] KVM / LVM / libvrt/ ganeti and all that

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jan 5 14:37:40 PST 2018

On 01/04/2018 09:55 PM, Regina Obe wrote:
> Thinking about this with the mindset of the New Website.
>
> If I setup a KVM image for new website, that we test (we'll use for our
> temporary staging) , basically trying to follow these instructions?
>
> https://www.hiroom2.com/2017/06/26/debian-9-install-kvm/
>

> Would it be possible to then take that image and host it on OSUOSL when we
> are comfortable everything works.  We'd create two versions, one for
> production and one for staging.
>
> I think that would expedite things since in theory
> I could have the KVM image ready to go as soon as our new hardware is in
> place?
>
> This would be instead of just building a virtualbox VM as I had originally
> planned to test out any issues under PHP7/MariaDb
>
> I assume such an image could work under libvrt or ganeti.  Any special
> considerations I should be aware of?
>

> Thanks,
> Regina

Theoretically yes that would work, though inefficient to transfer.

A preferred method would be to use a deployment tool to script a fresh
deployment. Puppet, Ansible, Chef.... which leads back to just do it
with Docker.

The issue I think we're trying to avoid is setting up the basic
accounts, LDAP, base security (fail2ban) etc... the less times and
places we have to do all that the better.

I'm find requesting a VM from OSUOSL same specs as the current staging
server if you want it?