[SAC] Osgeo7

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jul 6 08:53:05 PDT 2018

On 07/05/2018 02:05 PM, Vicky Vergara wrote:
> Big question is
> Ubuntu 16.04 or Ubuntu 18.04 ?
> ​(or debian 8 or 9)
>
> discussion starting

It sounded like most were ok with Ubuntu 18.04.

A reminder the reason we decided Ubuntu was better support for ZFS (for
disk caching support via optane/ssd) and LXD (container solution) when
compared to the latest Debian. Martin implied he might have alternatives
to achieve the same goals, and we're still open to ideas on this as long
as it meets the caching and container needs.

Next question, based on the drive arrangement how big a / partition
should we request OSUOSL make, what filesystem, and on what drive? Are
we taking a slice of one of the big spinning disks? Does that mess up
the ZFS raid equivalent?
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Osgeo7

I figured once the base OS is installed they can turn it over to us to
do the ZFS setup, including caching etc. It may be possible to have them
provide direct bare metal access to someone for the initial setup if we
have a strong commitment from who will handle that.