[SAC] [Hosting] ftp.osuosl.org maintenance - May 17, 2018 9am PDT (May 17 1600 UTC)

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Mon May 14 14:59:37 PDT 2018

Service(s) affected: ftp.osuosl.org

One of the three servers (ftp-osl) which serve ftp.osuosl.org will be
offline during an OS reinstall. This particular machine acts as a syncing
master for the other two servers so updates on our mirror network will be
delayed until ftp-osl has been rebuilt.

Outage Window:
Start:   Thu, May 17, 9:00AM PDT (Thu May 17 1600 UTC)
End:     Thu, May 17, 3:00PM PDT (Thu May 17 2200 UTC)

Reason for outage:

The server known as ftp-osl is currently running RHEL and will be
reinstalled with CentOS. This is due to the fact that there was no port of
CentOS for ppc64le at the time we deployed the system. To align with the
rest of our infrastructure and also remove the need for a license we'll be
switching this over to CentOS. In addition, we're going to be updating the
system firmware.

I plan to keep the ssh host keys the same after the re-install and all of
the data currently on the system will remain intact. We have already taken
this server out of our DNS rotation however other projects may be directly
pointing to this server which we have no control over.

We'll be doing the same reinstall on the other two nodes next week.

Thanks-

--
Lance Albertson
Director