[SAC] OSGeo4 status

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sat Aug 31 03:58:17 PDT 2019

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 04:48:53AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 03:39:33AM -0400, Regina Obe wrote:
> > 3) I added osgeo7 as a remote host on osgeo4.
> >
> > You'll see it listed if you do
> >
> > lxc remote list
>
> > I don't see osgeo7 remote from osgeo4, nor osgeo4 from osgeo7
>
> Try:
> sudo lxc remote list

Yes, that does it.

> > Can we access _all_ containers from that host ?
>
> You mean like if we call is osgeo4.osgeo.org port 22 (that would go to the hop container I am thinking)
> And you would be able to ssh to all containers you have permissions to using the same hop setup we have on download.osgeo.org

Yes, so I can replace "download" with "hop" for the jump host
in ssh config.

> > How about "hop", "jump" or "bastion" ? (I prefer short names, so I vote for "hop").
>
> dmz is as short as hop but I'm okay with that :)

I'm fine with dmz as well, but OSGeo is not "militarized" so there's
nothing to de-militarize ;)

> More importantly what should the domain name be or is osgeo4.osgeo.org
> just fine but kinda confusing as it doesn't put you in the host itself
> but a container

I think hop.osgeo.org or dmz.osgeo.org would be nice

> > 5) I setup nginx container which I called osgeo4-nginx (so not to be
> > confused with the osgeo7 one, as that one I'd probably have a nightly
> > snapshot of it in a stopped state)
>
> > Can we have aliases, so like "prod-nginx" for the live one and "backup-nginx" or some better name for the hot-swap ?
>
> Something about having prod in front of containers seems annoying to me. Especially when you ask "what is prod"
>
> The script I put together -- I restore a backup of osgeo7 container as <container-name>-backup
> So osgeo7 nginx comes over as nginx-backup.

I'm ok with "<service>" as the production (online) service and
"<service>-backup" as the hotswap/backup.

> > Would it make sense to try an upgrade before the stress-test ?
>
> Upgrade of what part OS/wordpress/or you mean member/cpu etc? Wordpress-dev is a snapshot of web18a (current production server for www)
> And I capped it to the same number of cores/disk space etc.
> So aside from security updates and data should be the same.

I meant wordpress version upgrade, with whatever it takes
(is OS upgrade required?)