[SAC] [Hosting] Planned power grid work between March 28-30, 2019 impacting OSL data center

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Tue Mar 26 09:23:13 PDT 2019

All,

The building that our primary data center is housed in (Kerr Administration
Building) is having some work done on it's power grid [1] between March 28
and 30 this week. While this work is being done, the data center will be
powered via the generator and we *DO NOT* expect any outages to happen.
However, in case something unexpected happens, I wanted to send this notice
out.

Here is a note from OSU about this work (all times are PDT):

Oregon State University and Pacific Power have been collaborating on a
> long-term effort to improve the safety and reliability of the power grid
> serving the Corvallis campus. This work requires periodic planned power
> outages to accommodate upgrades and other work.

> The first multiple-day planned power outage will occur on *Thursday,
> March 28 beginning at 6 a.m. and lasting through Saturday, March 30 at 6
> p.m.* The work to be performed by Pacific Power includes replacing
> switches and cables that feed various buildings along SW Jefferson Way.
> Prior to this planned outage, OSU’s Facilities Services electricians will
> briefly shut down power to the affected buildings outside of business hours
> on March 16, 2019 to enable the hook-up of generators, allowing for
> business continuity in most buildings.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact me
directly either via email or IRC.

Thank you!

[1] https://powergrid.oregonstate.edu/

--