[SAC] Completed hours on Sysadmin Contract 2020-II

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu Dec 24 06:09:09 PST 2020

This mail to report that I've completed the hours of support
included in sysadmin contract 2020-II.

Tickets I've been working on can be read from the following link:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=closed&group=resolution&milestone=Sysadmin+Contract+2020-II

For convenience a summary follows:

  - Automatic SSL certificate renewal for LDAP
    (#2521, #2535, #2536)

  - Upgrade of Mailman to version 2.1.34
    (#2174, #2506, #2123)

  - Improvement in LDAP user creation and details editing
    (#2527, #2542)

  - Enable Gitea support for SSH, using public keys registered
    in LDAP (#2457, #2549)

  - Creation of a set of ansible roles for use to manage
    configuration of OSGeo infrastructure. The work is
    currently hold in a private git repository:
    https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/sac/ansible-deployment
    (this was unticketed)

Regarding the ansible setup: it's currently almost just a stub,
doing only a few things, specifically securing as much as I could
but not all of the above work. I think ansible is a good way forward
to replace the "recently" introduced habit of creating local git
repositories for the various configuration directories.

I'm happy to help other SAC members learn ansible and discuss how to
grow those scripts, and I hope a new sysadmin contract can be granted
soon (to Regina, being the only candidate [1]) to continue that work.

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/sac/2020-December/012862.html

There's already a "Sysadmin Contract 2020-III" milestone with 11
tickets, so I would not wait too much:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&milestone=Sysadmin+Contract+2020-III&group=resolution&col=id&col=summary&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=component&col=time&order=priority

Alex: is there any budget left for 2020 ? Could we use that one ?
Would also save us from changing milestone name :P