[SAC] FOSS4G domain mail server

MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 04:33:12 PDT 2020

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 12:04 AM Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> Maria,
>
> We do have infrastructure for handling the mailing domain, at least I
> assume we can use the same infrastructure as the @osgeo.org emails. As
> for the Foss4g marketing management that is being discussed, that would
> require additional tools as mentioned in that thread.

Well, we will need the marketing tools before that discussion
finishes, so we are probably just going to start with mailchimp.

What I was asking for on this email was some way of sending emails for
the ticket sales and the CFP. Which still requires big batches of
email sending.

> As for simple emailing, we only offer alias, no inboxes, and the list
> service. Are you interested in those features?

We don't need an inbox, we just want to send emails (the "replyto"
could be something else).

But I don't think an alias could work on our case. Because for example
GMail has a limit of sending mail that doesn't fit our needs (500
emails per day, which in some cases will not be enough). So if the
email is sent by GMail instead of OSGeo, it won't fix our issue. We
are looking for a limitless mail server.

A mailing list is not very compatible with privacy laws (sending lists
of emails back and forth, adding them to mailing lists automatically,
etc...).

So I understand OSGeo does not have a mail server we can use to send emails?

In that case I would ask for dns MX redirection to some server we set up.

Thanks!