[SAC] Photo and video hosting

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Aug 30 12:56:39 PDT 2022

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 07:37:06AM +0200, Luca Delucchi wrote:

> Could be possible to set up a service to share these photos.
> I found few possible candidates:
> - Nextcloud (OSGeo already have a running instance)
> - Piwigo https://piwigo.org/
> - LibrePhoto https://github.com/LibrePhotos/librephotos
> - Lychee https://github.com/LycheeOrg/Lychee
>
> I would like to have any feedback from your side.

I never setup a photo server myself so no first-time opinion.
Alex Mandel told us he has a Piwigo instance so that could be
a good start. Someone also mentioned (in #osgeo-sac:libera.chat)
Pixelfed which is supposedly working like Peertube (engages P2P
on clients, to reduce load on server).

What we need for sure is a LDAP backend for authentication.
We saw Piwigo and Pixelfed both support LDAP backend,
do you know about LibrePhoto and Lychee or have any experience
with them ?

Best would be to find a volunteer to actually setup, document
and maintain the service. We can provide a container to play
with.

Regina ticketed a task to set such service up here:
https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2406
comments should probably go there