[SAC] [Hosting] [RESOLVED] DDoS on OSL DNS Servers

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Mon Oct 31 10:47:06 PDT 2022

This happened again this morning between 5:30-8:20AM PDT (1230-1520 UTC).
The attack is similar to what's described in this CVE [1] (NXNSAttack), but
I have confirmed that we have that patched on our servers. I have put in
some local changes on the servers to help ensure the service stays online
if it happens again. I'm working on getting this integrated into our
configuration management.

I also heard back from LinkOregon and they note that they do have some
mitigation measures in place, however it wasn't working with IPv6 at the
time. We noticed seeing a fairly equal amount of traffic for IPv4 and IPv6
during the event.

If anyone else has some recommended Bind configuration you use to mitigate
this, please let me know off list.

Thanks for your patience.

[1] https://kb.isc.org/docs/cve-2020-8616

--