[SAC] [postgis-devel] DMARC/DKIM mitigation on maling lists

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Fri Oct 27 01:20:33 PDT 2023

[ moving conversation to SAC mailing list as I think it belongs there ]

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 02:08:45PM +0200, Sandro Santilli via postgis-devel wrote:

> Ok, this is now live for postgis-tickets. I had to:
>
>   1. Set "Replace the From" to "no"
>      https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/admin/postgis-tickets/general
>
>   2. Disable "Reply-to" munging
>      https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/admin/postgis-tickets/general
>
>   3. Remove footer from the non-digest options
>      https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/admin/postgis-tickets/nondigest
>
> You can see the subsequente differences from the archive:
> https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-tickets/2023-October/date.html

Laurențiu (in Cc) tested sending a DKIM-signed email to the
postgis-tickets configured as mentioned above and the mail was found
to still break the DKIM signature.

Here's what I get as Authentication-Results header when the mail arrives
to my mailbox:

		dkim=fail ("headers rsa verify failed") header.d=messagingengine.com header.s=fm3 header.b=o8qZA0x2;
		dmarc=fail reason="SPF not aligned (relaxed)" header.from=dend.ro (policy=quarantine);
		spf=pass

Magnus: if we wanted to compare with PostgreSQL lits, would any of
those lists be good test targets ?

Does anyone know if this the DKIM failures above could still have to do with
mailman configuration ?

NOTE: I've set Reply-To: sac at lists.osgeo.org but I'm not sure how
      postgis-devel and sac mailman lists will threat it...