[SeasonOfDocs] Communication channels

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 12:10:37 PDT 2019

Clarence,

Felicity has set up https://thegooddocs.slack.com
<https://thegooddocs.slack.com/> for us already, which we can start
using (although name may change). There is a good chance we will rebrand
ourselves within the next few weeks, depending upon conversations
Jennifer will be starting between us and the WriteTheDocs Guide community.

I'd like to hear input on what communication channels we should use.
Most of my Open Source work is on mature projects, 10+ years old, where
conversations mainly happen on email lists, sometimes with an IRC
channel as well. However, as I look into setting up a new project, it
appears email lists are not provided by default open source hosting
providers.

Do people have opinions on what communication channels we should use?
Each communication channel is optimised for different cadences and use
cases.

I'm inclined to suggest making use of:

Email lists:
* Good for 1 day cadence, crossing timezones and working within
volunteer schedules
* People tend to choose words carefully, allowing the community to grow
to 50+ people relatively efficiently.
* Can be archived to later searching

Video conferencing:
* Very personal which helps to build trust
* Facilitates fast brain storming
* Becomes unwieldy beyond 8+ people
* Good for weekly cadence for small teams, or adhoc meetings for 2 or 3
people

Chat (eg slack):
* Sits between email and video
* Good for fast turnaround conversations, which can expand to ~ 30 people
* Doesn't archive well

On 4/7/19 2:30 am, Clarence Cromwell wrote:
> This project has a number of good things happening already. Would it be possible to have a slack group for this?
> It seems that we need a way to follow multiple conversations simultaneously, and email is no longer the best tool for that.
>

> Sent from my iPhone

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254