[SeasonOfDocs] formats, tools, workflows

Jennifer Rondeau jennifer.rondeau at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 06:55:28 PDT 2019

I'm inclined to agree with Jo's recommendation of markdown also, at least
for content that we don't publish directly on the WtD website.

BUT Felicity asked about data for use of lightweight markup languages -- to
the best of my somewhat but not entirely limited knowledge, there isn't
real data, only folk wisdom that developers prefer markdown because it's
simpler. But every time I've seen that proposition articulated, devs come
out of the woodwork protesting that no, they want to use only the most
appropriate tool and are happy to switch to something else. That's been my
direct experience as well, but YMMV.

That said, we've got not much more than folk wisdom to go on, hence my
recommendation of markdown. I also think that if we deliver templates in
markdown (which we'll need to mark up specially for them to render in the
browser anyway -- see inter alia the templates for the Kubernetes docs, at
https://github.com/kubernetes/website/blob/master/content/en/docs/contribute/style/page-templates.md),
people accustomed to working in rST or AsciiDoc will be more adept at
translating into their preferred markup language than the other way around.
We could also skip the rendering-markdown-literally approach to templates.