[SeasonOfDocs] formats, tools, workflows

Jo Cook jo.k.cook at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 06:24:30 PDT 2019

HI All,

I'm in favour of keeping things as simple as possible, for long term
maintenance and for lowering the barrier for potential contributors. I
think also that we need to be clear whether we're talking about the format
of the files we use to build the website (which I guess includes the
documentation on best practices) and the format that we provide the
templates in.

I've got experience of both markdown and rst in both respects, and I think
there are pros and cons to both, but all things being equal, I'd tend to
choose markdown for the simplicity of the format. I'm a big fan of the
markdown -> gh-pages approach for collaborative websites- it's what we use
for uk.osgeo.org and it works really well for that where there's a
distributed team of around 15 people with committing rights and varying
levels of technical experience.

All the best

Jo