[SeasonOfDocs] Important: OSGeoLive Geonetwork Quick Start help needed

Jo Cook jo.k.cook at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 09:24:27 PDT 2019

Hi List,

Cameron has asked me whether it would be at all possible to include the
changes that we've identified in the Geonetwork Quick Start guide from the
main Geonetwork website into the OSGeoLive Geonetwork Quick Start guide, in
time for the documentation freeze on July 23rd.

Links:
 * Google doc that we're working on:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/117WkUYJUaOcCjxglcfKFkSKq6axyRKuO8iL9gLnvwYU/edit?usp=sharing
 * Geonetwork Quick Start Guide:
https://geonetwork-opensource.org/manuals/trunk/en/user-guide/quick-start/index.html
 * OSGeoLive Geonetwork Quick Start Guide:
https://live.osgeo.org/en/quickstart/geonetwork_quickstart.html

The two guides definitely seem to share a common heritage, though I don't
know whether they are updated in parallel now, or simply started off as the
same thing.
Although the timing is tight, I believe we could implement some (though not
all) of the changes we've identified, with the caveat that some areas
should be different as (for example) there's no requirement to discuss
installation in the OSGeoLive Guide.

I am happy to implement the suggested changes from the google doc into
OSGeoLive Quick Start guide, but I would very much appreciate it if one (or
more) of our lovely technical writer people could be in a position to
review the draft when I'm done? We may not get it perfect, or even
perfectly in line with our nascent best practices, but hopefully we can
make some improvements. Does anyone have the bandwidth to assist with this
early next week?

Cameron- could you confirm that this is the link I should use for the raw
version of the documentation:
https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc/blob/master/doc/quickstart/geonetwork_quickstart.rst?
If so, I'll probably fork it (possibly under thegooddocs).

Thanks

Jo