[SeasonOfDocs] Meritocracy

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 06:09:40 PDT 2019

On 23/7/19 10:42 pm, Jennifer Rondeau wrote:
> Looks like I'm first out of the gate as SJW here -- can we please not
> refer to a "principle[ ...of ...] meritocracy"? It's term that's been
> tarnished beyond current repair in the worlds of tech generally and in
> FOSS especially. I appreciate the sentiment, but we can find better words.

Jennifer,

I suspect you might be referring to derivatives of
https://postmeritocracy.org/ I'm fine with changing language. I feel
diversity which leads to effective collaboration is really important.
I'm saddened that the term "meritocracy" seems to have adopted such a
narrow definition. In my mind meritocracy should include soft metrics
(such as how effectively people build diverse communities).

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254