[SeasonOfDocs] licensing discussion

Erin McKean emckean at google.com
Tue Jul 23 14:48:09 PDT 2019

Hi folks! Sorry I had to leave the call early today. Next time I'll book
the room a little longer.

The proposed licensing structure is (also in the Google Doc here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17YFSSPbHl7FfPh-PQjjqVM9hlCHdVjSHW6p9XcN8ODw
)

Templates: CC-0, with expectation of attribution/link back to project
Documentation of how to use the templates/metadocumentation: CC-BY 4.0
Code snippets: Apache or MIT, with labeling of license
Tools (software): Apache or MIT

Templates or tools forked from other projects will keep their licenses.

We propose NOT to include templates, tools, code snippets, or any other
content licensed under any of these restrictive licenses:

No License
Unlicense
WTFPL
AGPL
CC BY-NC-* (this restricts commercial entities)
Private repositories

In order to contribute to the project templates (CC-0) I had to request
special permission from Google's Open Source Program Office, which they
provided. I ran this licensing structure by them and got a thumbs-up. :)

Yours,

Erin