[SeasonOfDocs] TheGoodDocsProject: Contributor Agreements

Jennifer Rondeau jennifer.rondeau at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 14:21:44 PDT 2019

It's been my experience working with the Kubernetes community that a CLA
can pose a non-insignificant barrier to entry for new contributors,
especially if they aren't already familiar with FOSS. And it's my
observation from working with a range of Write the Docs communities that
technical writers tend to be less familiar with FOSS norms and practices
than coders -- this includes writers from large companies.

If we want to maintain a project that's an open and welcoming for all as
possible, I'd support a DCO, but I also wonder whether we need or want even
that much. My guess is that it would be enough to drive away at least some
otherwise valuable contributors. I don't have data about how many potential
contributors lack of a DCO would keep away -- anyone else?

Related but not quite on topic: how do we want to solicit and encourage
contributions? Are we assuming only contributors who are already familiar
with a Git workflow? That would definitely keep some good work away, based
on my experience with writing day sessions for the Write the Docs guide at
WtD conferences.