[SeasonOfDocs] TheGoodDocsProject: Attracting non-techie contributors

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 15:51:02 PDT 2019

On 29/7/19 7:21 am, Jennifer Rondeau wrote:
> Related but not quite on topic: how do we want to solicit and
> encourage contributions? Are we assuming only contributors who are
> already familiar with a Git workflow? That would definitely keep some
> good work away, based on my experience with writing day sessions for
> the Write the Docs guide at WtD conferences.

Folks,

I've changed the title of this email in order to create a different
thread. In email lists we've found it reduces confusion when we stick to
one topic per thread.

Jennifer, good question, and one I touched on in
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com/2019/02/inspiring-techies-to-become-great.html

I wish there were tools that allow a writer to add track changes and
comments as easily as Google Docs or Word, but also have the rigour and
accountability provided by git. I don't think tools are there yet, so we
need to compromise.

I think that rigour is important for the long term, and so I feel we
need to make use of git from the start, and we can encourage tool
builders to improve usability in the long term.

I'm starting to form the opinion that in the interim, we should
encourage use of track changes in Google Docs for first round
brain-storming, then we should switch across to git.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254