[SeasonOfDocs] Email list research

Jo Cook jo.k.cook at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 08:24:48 PDT 2019

I've been doing a little more digging into GitHub Discussions.

Good:

* hosted and free (at the moment)
* you can align them with organisational teams, which would mean we could
have one list for website discussion, another one for PSC etc.
* definitely searchable, but it's a little early to tell how manageable
they are going to be with a large number of messages.
* not needing any additional logins- people helping with the project will
need a github login anyway so we're not asking them to sign up to anything
extra

Bad things:
* There's also no explicit statement on archiving them, potentially they
will survive as long as the organisation does.
* They might transition to being a paid-for function at some point

I'm not wedded to them, but it appeals to my sense of neatness to keep
everything together :-)

Jo