[SeasonOfDocs] Introduction

Byron Cochrane byron at openwork.nz
Wed Jun 5 15:38:18 PDT 2019

Hi Jo,

All aboard with everything have suggested.
But where do I find the “easy to resolve”  issues you mention on the GitHub site?  I am not seeing those.

A bit about my current focus.  Besides being a general GeoNetwork enthusiast and one of the most prolific implementers of this software in the Oceana region,  I currently have a couple of projects underway that relate well to this work.  The first is development of good practice guidance for using ISO19115-3 in Australia and NZ.  GeoNetwork, being one of the very few existing catalogues that support this standard is our reference platform.  I would think a version of this document specific to GN users could be useful.

I am also aiding NIWA here in NZ in improving their cataloguing capabilities.  This is based on GeoNetwork, but needs to tie in with other catalogues as well. So issues around workflow, administration, additional schema plugins, harvesting, etc. are all needed to be well documented.  Forefront here is good documentation on plugin schema support and implementation.  These plugins have become pretty central to customisation and have fallen badly behind in documentation, so that is where I would like to put some initial focus.

In general I found documentation to be the Achilles heel for may open source projects.  Identifying what works to get good documentation is of immense value to making a successful product.  At least in this part of the world, GN has a mixed reputation.  The negative perceptions are largely around the view that it is too complex.  Good documentation could help.  I think of GeoNetwork as a software stack of which some parts are useful to some installs and some parts will not be.  Documentation that describes this stack in a way that organisations can understand how to make best use of the different components of this stack would be extremely useful.

Unless I can tie some of this directly to paid work, putting in more than 4-6 hours a week to this effort will be a struggle, but I will do what I can.  I may be able to leverage some time from my business partner as well.

So how do we proceed?

Cheers,
Byron Cochrane

OpenWork Ltd