[SeasonOfDocs] Getting prepped to be a newbie QGIS tech writing volunteer

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Sat May 4 00:36:16 PDT 2019

Hi all,

First of all Congratulations to Cameron and all those who helped OSGeo
submission. Thanks.

Andrew, I went through your interesting notes (great idea to have written
your experience). I think our projects suffer from the lack of feedbacks
from newbies. Things that became obvious to advanced users can be a barrier
for beginners and such writings help to fill the gap. This was the idea
behind the step by step chapter and your notes are the kind of initiatives
that may help to improve its quality. I'm unfortunately at the wrong place
to see the subtle differences in the two docs (what we propose now is a bit
like what you wrote, minus GH screenshots). Maybe another "newbie" (but not
only) can give a try and find the gap so that we pick from your
experiences...?

I also notice the trickiest part of the process: find the file to modify.
Do you think that when we tag an issue as easy, we should also add the
place to put the changes in the report? Kind of
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues/3278#issuecomment-451726082
? I thought about this in the past and finally decided that letting the
user browse the repo (or the online doc and use the "fix me" link) to find
the appropriate file could be a good learning but maybe it was a bad idea
and the curve is a bit high. Should not be hard for us to fix anyway.

Regards,
Harrissou
Regards,
Harrissou