[SeasonOfDocs] Getting prepped to be a newbie QGIS tech writing volunteer

Andrew Jeffrey aljeffrey83 at gmail.com
Sat May 4 01:57:04 PDT 2019

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback Harrissou.

I agree that the current step by step contribution guide on the QGIS
website is great, I don't think I would have been able to complete my first
contribution without it. The notes that I made were just for me so that I
didn't forget the process, but I did share them with the Australian user
group. The reason why I created the document was that the GitHub process
for a non-coder like me was new and I had to record the steps as they
weren't obvious in the current guide. So to your point about being "at the
wrong place to see the subtle differences in the two docs (what we propose
now is a bit like what you wrote, minus GH screenshots)" - I would agree
with you that the differences is only the GitHub screenshots (and my own
words for personal familiarity). I think if the process uses GitHub and the
document is intended for first timers, then it may benefit from some
screenshots and assuming no GitHub experience.

As for your label suggestion, yes please! Anything that makes it easier to
find the correct page to edit is a huge help the first time. I admit you do
get familiar with the structure the more you use it, but on my first effort
I spent a fair while looking for the page.

And i'd like to add that the first ever contribution was intimidating but
you and others I encountered in the QGIS docs were a great help and very
welcoming. For that thank you very much!

Thanks

Andrew