[SeasonOfDocs] OSGeo Season of Docs - summary from last week

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri May 17 22:51:26 PDT 2019

Hi folks, (you are mostly all listed here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019#People_keen_to_take_part
)

I'm sharing a bit of a summary things happening in OSGeo Season of Docs
in the last week or so. (I'll start a couple of separate threads to
address specific topics after this.)

0. Sarah Maddox from Season of Docs presented at a webinar this week,
and confirmed that they have 50 projects enrolled in Season of Docs, and
50 writers. There will be one writer allocated to each project. If a
project drops out, the writer slot will be allocated out-of-hat to
another project. (So we are guaranteed of one paid writer, but chances
of getting two paid writers are going to be slim). However, we have high
quality volunteer writers (all of you) and I expect we will attract more.

1. I've had a chat with Jared Morgan, who is well connected in the
WriteTheDocs community. It is worth listening to the podcast he
co-hosts: https://podcast.writethedocs.org/ . Jared is interested in
being involved (and hopefully will introduce himself to this list when
he is free next.)

2. I've chatted with Chris Pettit, Ori Guddes, Scott Haken from City
Futures department at the University of New South Wales (Australia).
They are building training material which uses QGIS and are looking to
work out how to get involved. (I'll start a separate thread about
training material).

3. Sarah Ratner (doing a Phd in Learning Theory) is interested, and I
should be meeting with her and Sarah Maddox (Google) within the next
month or so. I'm hoping she will help us link writing templates back to
educational theory.

4. Hopeful tech writers have started emailing. I can see this could
start swamping out email list, so have been replying noting our
selection criteria (volunteers welcomed, only 1 paid gig, and that is
reserved for a senior tech writer, as per:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Season_of_Docs_Ideas_2019#Selection_criteria_for_paid_role
)

5. Some of you were starting to look into trying out becoming an "expert
newbie". It would be good to hear how you are progressing.

6. While I love talking with you all one-on-one, I'm very quickly going
to become a bottle neck if all the awesomeness you guys are about to do
needs to involve me. So I encourage you all to start making use of this
email list. We might later set up chat and/or video conference.

All the best,

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier