[SeasonOfDocs] How should we focus OSGeo training within SeasonOfDocs?

Jo Cook jo.k.cook at gmail.com
Mon May 27 10:41:21 PDT 2019

Hi All,

I really appreciate the effort Andrew has gone to in documenting the
experience of committing an update to the QGIS documentation. While this
might be slightly outside of the scope of this Google SoD I think we should
be strongly encouraging OSGeo projects to include something like this in
their documentation- and it would be great to have something like this that
we can perhaps offer as a template.

I think that the writing style was just right for new contributors- with
plenty of screenshots it was easy to follow and went through each step in
the process without missing anything. The only comment I would make is that
it would be handy to explain the very end of the process, eg what it looks
like when your contribution is accepted. Just to finish things off!

 I went to look to see if there was anything similar for Geonetwork, and I
don't think there is. @Maria and anyone else interested in improving the
Geonetwork docs, could we start on this? @Maria I notice also that the
"fork me on github" link in the Geonetwork documentation goes to a 404
error, which I would imagine might put anyone fairly new off making an edit!

the thread)- why are people writing training material and not making it
available in the core repository? From a commercial perspective it seems
quite simple. If we (rhetorically, and not necessarily talking about Astun
Technology here) wish to charge for training, then the training material is
surely part of what we're charging for? If we use publicly available
training material some people may complain that they are paying for
material that is freely accessible. Personally I think we should be
focusing on the manual rather than on training material as such.

Jo