[SeasonOfDocs] How should we focus OSGeo training within SeasonOfDocs?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun May 26 13:36:55 PDT 2019

Thanks Matteo for the suggestions.

I'm keen to lean on the experience of you and our community here to
discuss your "How to contribute" page:

https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/training_manual/appendix/contribute.html

* Andrew Jeffry has been a newbie QGIS documented and has helped other
newbies getting started, and has collated his experience here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eWpqmZHFiuoUhcCPcf9VTFrs2ol53A-Ha9in8sbiwlU/edit?usp=sharing
. Matteo and Harrissou:How do you suggest we go forward with improving
the getting started experience with Andrew's insights? Should we invite
Andrew to update existing getting started page with his material?

* The "How to contribute" page explains the mechanics of how to
contribute, but where I see additional value in the SeasonOfDocs
initiative is in addressing some of the meta issues. Answering questions
like:

** What content do we want to accept in the QGIS manual? How do we
decide what is in/out?

** How should each page fit within the greater documentation and
learning vision?

** What types of documentation do we want to create?

** What is the target persona we wish to write to for each doc type?

** What writing style/tone should be applied?

** I'd be interested to hear Jared's thoughts from the perspective of a
senior technical writer.

* From the various owners of QGIS training material on this list: Why
are you writing and using material outside of the core QGIS repository?
What are your barriers to entry in getting back into a central location
and collaborating on material development and maintenance)?