[Shapelib] Shapefile creation

Mike.Sexton at ga.gov.au Mike.Sexton at ga.gov.au
Mon Oct 30 20:31:26 PST 2006

Hi,

For some time I have been wondering how one produces shapefiles from scratch
and have found it very difficult to find relevant information

I have numerous files of X,Y data that describe points, lines and polygons
that I wnt to capture as shapefiles.

Fortunately I found  the shapelib pages

I downloaded the shapelib tar file and shocked myself when the make worked.

I have been able to make some simple shapefiles by following the
instructions, and I am now wondering how I can use my X,Y files.

For example: shpadd testfile.shp 10.0 1.0 20.0 2.0 30.0 3.0, works fine

but I want to load an X,Y file containing 1000's of point into the shapefile.
I just cant see how to stream the coordinates into the ahpadd program

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mike Sexton

Geoscience Australia