[Shapelib] make & make test issue

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Apr 22 07:25:00 PDT 2010

guy picton phillipps wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install mapserver from source on a clean install of
> Ubuntu 9.10 32bit server version.
>
> Prior to trying to install shapelib, I have installed the following
> libraries:
>
> freetype-2.3.12
> gd-2.0.35
> jpegsrc.v6b
> libpng-1.4.1
> proj-4.7.0
> zlib-1.2.5
>
> The directory where untarred shapelib files are stored is
> /usr/local/src/shapelib-1.3.0b1
>
> Running 'make' from this location as root gives the following:
>
> =======================================
> root at vbox9-10serveri386:/usr/local/src/shapelib-1.3.0b1# make
> cc -g -Wall -c shpopen.c
> shpopen.c:237: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> cc -g -Wall -c safileio.c
> safileio.c:68: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> cc -g -Wall shpcreate.c shpopen.o safileio.o  -o shpcreate
> shpcreate.c:64: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> cc -g -Wall shpadd.c shpopen.o safileio.o  -o shpadd
> shpadd.c:85: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> cc -g -Wall shpdump.c shpopen.o safileio.o  -o shpdump
> shpdump.c:86: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> cc -g -Wall shprewind.c shpopen.o safileio.o  -o shprewind
> cc -g -Wall -c dbfopen.c
> dbfopen.c:151: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> cc -g -Wall dbfcreate.c dbfopen.o safileio.o  -o dbfcreate
> dbfcreate.c:61: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> cc -g -Wall dbfadd.c dbfopen.o safileio.o  -o dbfadd
> dbfadd.c:69: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> cc -g -Wall dbfdump.c dbfopen.o safileio.o  -o dbfdump
> dbfdump.c:76: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> cc -g -Wall shptest.c shpopen.o safileio.o  -o shptest
> shptest.c:65: warning: âcvsid_awâ defined but not used
> =======================================
>

> running 'make test', also from this location as root gives:

> root at vbox9-10serveri386:/usr/local/src/shapelib-1.3.0b1# make test
> ******* Stream 2 Succeeded *********
> ./makeshape.sh: 8: shpcreate: not found
> ./makeshape.sh: 9: dbfcreate: not found
> ./makeshape.sh: 11: shpadd: not found
> ./makeshape.sh: 12: dbfadd: not found
> ./makeshape.sh: 14: shpadd: not found
> ./makeshape.sh: 15: dbfadd: not found
> ./makeshape.sh: 17: shpadd: not found
> ./makeshape.sh: 18: dbfadd: not found
> ./makeshape.sh: 20: shpdump: not found
> ./makeshape.sh: 21: dbfdump: not found
> make: *** [test3] Error 127
>
> I see that the CFLAGS in the Makefile can be edited, but am not clear
> what should be edited or whether this is the cause of the problem?
>
> I have spent some time searching for hints to this, but so far have
> drawn a blank, so any suggestions gratefully received!

Guy,

I think the problem is that the calls to the test programs in the
makeshape.sh are not specific about the path to the executables, and
you don't have the current directory in the path (common with root).

try changing the lines like this in makeshape.sh:

shpcreate test polygon
dbfcreate test.dbf -s Description 30 -n TestInt 6 0 -n TestDouble 16 5

to be like this:

./shpcreate test polygon
./dbfcreate test.dbf -s Description 30 -n TestInt 6 0 -n TestDouble 16 5

Let me know if this works,and I'll fix it up stream.  It does look like
the build worked fine.  The cvs_id warnings are nothing.

Best regards,