[SoC] Re: OSGeo Google Summer of Code

Cory Horner chorner at refractions.net
Wed Mar 28 19:31:07 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> It looks like April 11th is when approved students are announced.  I
> don't know how long it takes them to do the selection.  I'd guess it is automatic, so
> likely not very long.  But I'd like to aim to have all PSC decisions
> made and the wiki updated by April 9th, and then Landon or I will update the point
> scores to put things in the selected order.

Was just scanning the gsoc discussion group:

"Rank the applications just as you would assuming there is no limit to
the number of students that will be allocated to your organization.
We'll give everyone at least one week's notice (after all student apps
have been received, but before accepted students are announced) as to
how many allocated student slots they will receive.  You can then mod
up/mod down the scores for applications so you select those your
organization truly wants."

http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/cf46c13c49bbbd33

I was hoping the selection process was more sophisticated, but it seems
we are in the same boat as last year.  Unfortunately, there probably
won't be any input from our administrator to Google during their
all-night-allocate-the-students session, so if a highly-coveted student
goes to a different SoC project (a "conflict"), our project might get
shafted.  We should see if we can leave more complex instructions for
Google in the event that this happens (this is a low-probablity boundary
case though).

Also, we might consider moving PostGIS up in the stack, since they got
screwed last year.

Cheers,
Cory.