[SoC] SoC Report: Geo-BI dashboards

Etienne Dube etdube at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 16:35:25 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

1. What did I do this week:

- Implemented an MDX query control on the client side. MDX queries are
now "ajaxfully" submitted to the server, and the layer is updated
dynamically. This allows for a very fast and seamless refresh of the
map, and will be the basis for the way Spatial OLAP operators
(drill-down, roll-up, ...) interact with the map on the client side.

- Learned JavaScript properly, thanks to JavaScript - The Definitive
Guide (5th ed.) by David Flanagan. Very recommended for anyone already
knowing an OO language and getting into more serious JavaScript.

- Cleaned and refactored my client code (following what I learned in the
previous point :) )

- Discussed with my mentor on various points, more importantly on the
implementation of OLAP operators (drill-down & al.). Since the olap4j
API doesn't implement these operators directly, I will have to do it
myself, so this will take more time than expected. Fortunately olap4j
has a few classes to manipulate MDX expressions programmatically, which
should prove helpful. We decided to put the priority on OLAP operators
before implementing more thematic mapping styles (i.e. proportional
symbols and pie charts).

- Began implementing server-side serialization of OLAP CellSets (and
members) to a JSON format, so the client will be able to work with the
multidimensional data returned by an MDX query (i.e. for displaying
crosstabs and graphics, other than the map itself).

- Submitted the midterm survey.

2. What do I plan on doing next week:

- Continue the work on JSON OLAP CellSets (1st priority)
- Continue the work on OLAP operators (2nd priority)

3. Am I blocked on anything:

No, everything is gravy. I'm hoping to be able to create an online demo
before the end of the project, so all of you folks who are new to
business intelligence can see what I'm talking about.

Etienne