[SoC] Status reports!

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Wed Jun 4 17:12:23 EDT 2008

Attention students!
(Mentors should keep reading too)

By now all of you students should be up to your ears in code and be
somewhat familiar of the workings of your project and your SoC projects.
If you do have some problems, please don't hesitate to contact your
mentor (or me or any other mentor for that matter), we are here to help
you write great code!

Now to make sure you all are on track you need to submit status reports
*every Friday*. That's right, we expect you to make progress every week.
And what better way to report status then by a status report email.

You should write a mail to your project development mailing list *and*
Cc to discuss at lists.osgeo.org. Prefix your emails with "SoC Report:", so
that we can more easily spot them. ;) What should you write? Good
question. Since status reports take time to write we expect nothing more
then 3 sentences.

1. What did you get done this week?
2. What do you plan on doing next week?
3. Are you blocked on anything?

If you want, feel free to write *more*. But three sentences is the bare
minimum.
*IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU SEND YOUR PROGRESS REPORTS ON TIME*, if
you don't send this email your mentors will start to get twitchy, and
*especially* if they don't get any responses to their emails / don't see
you in IRC. Twitch mentors is not what we want. If you are blocked by
finals, that's cool. We have all studied at some point, just tell us
about it. If you don't know how to proceed and your mentor isn't
answering *definitely* tell about it. You can send me or any of the
other admins (Frank Warmerdam and Landon Blake, AKA The Sunburned
Surveyor) a private email. Basically the point is that you open up the
communication channels, and keep them open. That way you will have a
super summer, and get payed ;)

Also: it's kind of fun going over old logs, believe it or not. If you
wish you can do what Anne Ghisla hand a few other have done and start a
Wiki page, just copy-paste your status reports there, and you have a
nice progress page (but keep sending those emails). Going over your logs
near the end you'll be surprised by the amount of things you have learned.

Thank you all students for doing this. I'm hoping to see an email from
each and everyone of you on Friday.

Regards,
Wolf Bergenheim
OSGeo Google Summer of Code Administrator

PS: Mentors, if you notice a your student hasn't sent a status report by
the end of Friday, please, send them a reminder.