[SoC] SoC report: Geo-BI dashboards

Etienne Dube etdube at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 20:40:12 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

I didn't do as much as I planned on the GSoC project for this week,
since I worked quite a bit on finishing my masters thesis. Not done with
this yet, but I will allocate to the GSoC project a greater part of my
time next week, to get started with the coding.

1. What did I do this week: I've installed and played with some of the
potentially useful frameworks and software which could play a part in
the development of the Geo-BI dashboard component. Configured the server
part of MapFish and learned a bit of Python at the same time. I also
experimented with the Pentaho Dashboard framework and Halogen, a
proof-of-concept web OLAP client based on the Google Web Toolkit (GWT).
So far I decided to concentrate my efforts towards the development of a
light Spatial OLAP web mapping client based on OpenLayers and the
Mondrian/olap4j API. Further integration with an existing BI dashboard
framework will be addressed later on.

2. What do I plan doing next week: try generating a map on OpenLayers
(and possibly MapFish) using member data pulled from a Mondrian cube (w/
a connection to a PostgreSQL+PostGIS DB and querying data from a
geometry field in a dimension table... already did this once so it
should go smoothly,)

3. Am I blocked on anything: I realized that integration with the
existing Pentaho Dashboard framework will possibly be more complicated
than I thought, but this will not be blocking any progress. Since this
is a brand new project, I expected some bumps along the road ;) .

Have a nice weekend,

Etienne