[SoC] SoC 2009

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Jan 9 19:54:32 EST 2009

> Google has announced that SoC *will* run this year but at a reduced
> scale. However there is no guarantee that we will be accepted as an
> organization. To have a better chance I'd like to get an early start.

Sign me up Wolf, I'm interested this time around to see how I might
be able to help.  I haven't been involved before so might need to be
warned if it will take too much time :)

There are a couple cross-project ideas that I'd like to see if I
could help mentor, mostly based on ideas from:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library

* e.g. map composition protocols (and translation between them)
* and creating a common output engine that various apps could use
(esp. for hard copy output options from desktop apps).

I can't speak to last years projects or ideas, but any feedback on
some of the above ideas?  Or do I just add more details to a page
somewhere?  I'll read up on the process in the meantime...

Tyler