[SoC] SoC 2009

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Sat Jan 10 16:43:33 EST 2009

On 10.01.2009 02:54, Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
>> Google has announced that SoC *will* run this year but at a reduced
>> scale. However there is no guarantee that we will be accepted as an
>> organization. To have a better chance I'd like to get an early start.
>
> Sign me up Wolf, I'm interested this time around to see how I might be
> able to help.  I haven't been involved before so might need to be warned
> if it will take too much time :)

Great! Happy to have you aboard!

It depends on what you do ;) We need to fix the wiki pages and gather a
lits of project ideas. I think we could host the cross-project ideas in
the osgeo wiki, and have links from the other project pages. Mentoring
does take up some tome say 5-21 hours per week, depending on how much
guidance the student needs and wants. But This year I'd like to enforce
 two mentors per student.

> There are a couple cross-project ideas that I'd like to see if I could
> help mentor, mostly based on ideas from:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Cartographic_Library
>
> * e.g. map composition protocols (and translation between them)
> * and creating a common output engine that various apps could use (esp.
> for hard copy output options from desktop apps).
>
> I can't speak to last years projects or ideas, but any feedback on some
> of the above ideas?  Or do I just add more details to a page somewhere?
> I'll read up on the process in the meantime...

Basically we should have a wikipage for the ideas. The ideas page should
not list too much, so that we don't suppress the creativity of the
students ;) But there needs to be enough that the students gets what we
would like them to do. Each application should maybe then have its own
wiki page. I'll be writing soon about the things that could have gone
better.

The above collaboration ideas are great. I'd also be willing to mentor
those projects too. Keep the ideas coming!

Stay tuned,
--Wolf

--

<:3 )---- Wolf Bergenheim ----( 8:>