[SoC] QGIS on steroids - week #2

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 12:54:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Wolf Bergenheim
<wolf+grass at bergenheim.net> wrote:

> I just compiled it, and I have to say that the rendering does seem a
> tad faster, but then again the rendering time is only a few seconds
> anyway. Tomorrow I'll try to use a more complex map with more labels
> and stuff.

Btw. if you compile QGIS in debugging mode (set cmake variable
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE to "Debug"), you'll be able to watch in terminal the
rendering time of each rendering cycle (together with loads of other
output), it may help you to differentiate between the times with lower
rendering times.

>> For testing, make sure you turn off render caching. To enable threaded
>> rendering, open python console and execute:
>> qgis.utils.iface.mapCanvas().mapRenderer().setThreadingEnabled(True)
>
> Perfect timing by the way. I was just about to ask about this. All in
> all I'd say great job! It didn't introduce any crashes nor anything
> else like that. How can I make it default to true?

I've added user-configurable setting to enable/disable threading in
r13691. You can find it in Options dialog > Rendering & SVG tab.

Martin