[SoC] Mentor for MapGuide Open Source

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Tue Mar 23 18:11:47 EDT 2010

Hello list,

I am offering myself as a GSOC mentor for MapGuide Open Source.  I have been a developer on the project since its inception and am a member of the MapGuide Project Steering Committee.

My areas of interest are fairly broad and I would be willing to mentor most MapGuide-related projects.  My current "hot button" interests for MapGuide are:

Builds and Installs
I currently host and help to maintain the build machines for MapGuide Open Source.  Our Linux platform support could be better.  We currently have no CentOS/Redhat RPMs and do not compile with GCC 4.4.  It would be great to get these issues addressed.

User/Group Security Model
MapGuide has a good permissions based security model which could be used more effectively.  Ideally, user/group permissions on layers and data sources should control layer visibility on a map.  As an additional enhancement, this scheme could be extended to GUI configuration.  In other words, inclusion in a specific groups may grant access to additional functionality within the GUI.

If you are interested in doing some MapGuide work for Google Summer of Code 2010, please send an email to the mapguide-internals mailing list.  I do monitor both lists.  Most of the "technical" stuff goes on at mapguide-internals.

Regards,

Trevor Wekel
Principal Consultant | OTX Systems
(403) 870-1582 | trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com