[SoC] Week 1 OpenCL Integration

Seth Price seth at pricepages.org
Mon May 24 13:10:59 EDT 2010

Hello from Utah! My name is Seth Price and I'm in the Ecology PhD
program at Utah State University. For my thesis work I'm working on a
new method of land cover classification.

My SoC project is to optimize GDAL and GRASS using OpenCL; I'm moving
more complex raster operations to the GPU. It's possible to reach a
100x speedup, but 10x-40x is more expected for this type of problem.

1) What did I do last week

For the past few weeks I've been adding OpenCL to the FANN (Fast
Artificial Neural Network) library. I feel like I have a good
understanding of best practices now, but that means I'm in the middle
of refactoring (again).

2) What do I plan to do this week

I'll be finishing my FANN work shortly, and will start looking into
GDAL. It shouldn't take long because I've already worked in that area
of GDAL. Then I'll start writing OpenCL which will handle warping. I
expect that to last into next week.

3) Do I have any problems/obstacle which interfere with my work

I would like to finish my FANN work before starting my GDAL work. If
it takes more than a few days I'll just find a good stopping point for
FANN and pick it up later. However, I feel like my FANN OpenCL
experience will lead to better OpenCL code for OSGeo.

~Seth