[SoC] GSoC Week 13 Report: Graphical User Interface for the hydrological tools r.stream* in GRASS GIS

Margherita Di Leo dileomargherita at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 10:25:00 EDT 2011

Hi,

this week I added to my GUI the window that allows user to catch coordinates
from Map Display in order to generate the small region of the preview
widget. This progress was particularly hard to achieve and has been possible
thanks to Vasek's work on the core code, who added an important improvement
to external API of the main GUI, that makes easier to write add-ons without
modifying the core code itself. There is still work to be done on rstream
GUI, and I will continue it after GSoC too. The GUI is under active
development and many functionalities can be added on it. I also am working
at the documentation.
I have a note regarding documentation of wxGUI in GRASS 7. During my project
I bothered a lot the developers asking questions that were blocking issues
for me, and I have to say that they were very helpful and supportive to me.
But I've found that GUI documentation is a bit poor, mostly generated by
doxygen. This could be OK for an expert developer, but it's quite a problem
for people like me that approaches GUI addons writing for the first time. I
understand that this is due to the fact that GUI is in very active
development and changes rapidly, and the purpose of this note is not
complaining about that, I am just pointing out the problem in order to solve
it.
In the coming weeks I will be working on writing my PhD thesis, that is due
by October. After that my idea is to focus on improving the GUI
documentation with the little knowledge that I achieved during the project,
hopefully with the support of developers, if you devs think that it could be
useful.

Thanks,

madi

--